Tonight, while washing dishes with me, Kira asked, "Have you ever dreamed about a fairy tale romance?"
"Sure," I said. "When I was a teenager."
Kira sighed.
"Ah, but real romance is better than fairy tale romance," I said, as the anti-princess in me surfaced.
"Why?" my innocent daughter asked.
"Well, a fairy tale romance is all about, what?"
"The first kiss," Kira said, sounding dreamy.
"Yeah, and how many of those do you get?"
"One," she said. "Until you kiss a new guy."
Yeah, that was another subject for another day..... "And then what happens?" I asked. "Is the romance over?"
Kira replied, "They live happily ever after."
"And what does that mean?" I asked. "Does that ever happen? In real life, you learn how to be happy even when you're miserable."
Unsatisfied, she asked me about my first kiss.
"It was really awkward," I said.
"And your second kiss was..." she sighed loudly. "What was your second kiss like?"
I thought about it for a moment, then said, "I don't remember."
She seemed disappointed.
I thought about kisses, and the kisses that matter. Then, I said, "You know what kiss I remember most?"
"Which kiss?"
I replied honestly. "The kiss I got today from your dad."
:) Yeah. That's romance, baby!
No comments:
Post a Comment