Yesterday, Jessi had two more seizures. The second one was a bit nasty and she stopped breathing, turning blue for a while. She wet and messed her pants. She was seizing for a while before we realized what was going on. We got to her and gave her the emergency medication that stops her seizures (she's only supposed to have this medication when the seizure is more than 5 minutes or when she's had more than one). Her nose was stuffy (it's administered as a mist in the nostrils) so when I sprayed the medication, the stuff in her nose was pushed down into her throat. As a result, she had a really hard time breathing as she came out of it. She was blue for 20- 30 seconds, and we just tried our best to get her to breathe and respond to us. We were much relieved when the color came back to her face!
It took about an hour for her to respond at all. Because she was such a mess, we decided to try to wake her up and get her to take a shower. She wasn't responsive and was basically dead weight. Kira helped me take off her dirty clothes and get her in the tub, then she helped me give Jessi a sponge bath and get her ready for bed. While we were doing this, Jason and Russ changed Jessi's bedding and started a load of laundry.
Kira and I got Jessi all dressed and put to bed, where she slept soundly until 7 or so this morning. I'm amazed at how helpful and wonderful Kira was! How many 9 year olds have to help bathe and dress their older sister? She was so glad to help and wasn't grossed out, and didn't complain about anything. What a great blessing!
Maida got home from work a bit later and we told her what had happened. She went downstairs and checked Jessi's vitals, then turned on a vaporizer to help ensure that Jessi was getting more oxygen. (Yeah, 'cause Maida's working as a CNA now and she knows how to do that kind of stuff!)
I'm just so grateful for my family! I had to post this because I was so proud of how my kids rallied around their sister! Just amazing!
Your family is amazing. I admire all of you. *hugs*
ReplyDeleteThat really is amazing! Your family is so strong, and I know this probably makes all of you closer.
ReplyDelete