I found out today that we are losing our literacy specialist. Her department has been "dissolved" because of a budget shortfall. I find this interesting for so many reasons. There has been so much argument about Canyons District and how we are rolling in money and how victimized Jordan District was by the split. Seems to me that the numbers that were waved around showing Canyons' wealth were either exaggerated, or just plain not accurately portrayed.
I know a little about government. Not as much as many of my friends, but I know that money issues are not cut and dry. Budgets are projected, and often the money they say they have isn't actually there the way my money is actually in the bank when I say it's in the bank. Frankly, I wonder how they figure out all of this stuff and have any numbers to present. It also strikes me as odd that now that the legislative session is over, a temporary solution to Jordan's shortfall has magically appeared. Good thing they didn't squeeze more money out of Canyons, seeing as how Canyons had a shortfall too. They just didn't publicize it. For weeks, I agonized over the feeling that a wedge was being driven between me and my friends in Jordan. As I usually do, I wondered what part I played in their problems, and what could I do to fix it. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if any of the numbers we were given were ever accurate.
I feel like maybe the public was played by Jordan administration. I know that one of the reasons Canyons split from Jordan--and if we look at it as a secession instead of a divorce, it will be more accurate--was because they didn't agree with the district administration. The biggest change I have seen from Jordan to Canyons is that Canyons supports the employees better and is more supportive of the community. I think their changes were correct, and if I had the chance to vote on secession again, I would vote the same way. Yes, what Jordan is going through is extremely difficult, but perhaps they should hold the administration responsible instead of going to congress and to the press to blame those who tried to get out from under administrative thumbs. And perhaps we all should be aware that education is underfunded in this state. It is not enough of a priority for many people. Parents do not support their teachers the way they should. Parents do not take enough of an active role in the education of their children. %50 of our kids read at home daily, and that's on a good month. Teachers spend far too much of their time disciplining students--a huge part of their training involves how to discipline--and when children are brought to their parents with complaints about behavior, parents often blame the teachers. I believe teaching is an incredibly difficult job, and kids today are disrespectful and apathetic. Problems with education are a community problem, and throwing money at a problem doesn't always help it.
*sigh* Not that I have the solutions. And the people who read this blog don't cause the problem--I know you support your communities and value your childrens' educations.
Just a vent. I'm done now.
Just so you know, the bill that allows JSD to use some capital funds any way they need to, also allows CSD and every other school district in the state to use their capital funds any way. This is for the next two years only. If CSD doesn't want to use these funds to save your Literacy Specialist and other Specialists, it could be because their shortfall will be more then they are letting on.
ReplyDeleteI really think that the State Legislature should have put off more road projects and put that money in the K-12 education budget. But, what do I know?
I know that the capital funds bill applied to the state, it was the bill before that that bothered me--the one that didn't pass. I guess the whole thing about politics in general that bothers me is that we are at the mercy of their (they meaning all government entities, including school districts) public relations and what information they choose to simplify, summarize, and release to us. Most people flat out don't have time to be really educated in government matters, and most people certainly don't have the knowledge or the time to look through a school district's budget and determine what holes the money is sifting through. So, we are at the mercy of the pr department, the press, and what information they choose to release. The only way to make sure your district is doing what you want it to do is to be involved. But the average person is too busy trying to make ends meet to get involved. It's just frustrating all around. I agree, Caroldean. They should have helped with the shortfalls rather than done some of the road projects they're focusing on. Education isn't enough of a priority.
ReplyDelete