Recently, a great friend of mine--whom I love and admire more each day--told me to write down 100 dreams. Things I want, dream, fantasize about. Things I believe I could do someday. She said that by writing them down, we help them to happen. I have long been a believer in the idea that we really do get what we want most out of life, because if we want something bad enough, we go after it. So, this idea makes sense to me. If you ask me what I dream about, it's hard for me to say. If you ask me what I want from life, it's hard to answer that question too.
I think I've spent too many years getting by and taking care of everyone around me to have any idea what I want anymore--beyond financial security and a healthy, happy family. Those two things are great things to want! I think we all want them! In fact, lack of those two things is probably what keeps me from directing my energy toward accomplishing anything else. But I don't think it's healthy for those general, natural, basic desires to overshadow the dreams that make me who I am. We are what we want to be. What we want makes us who we are. So, I'm working on my list. I'm going to try to come up with a few dreams every day until my list reaches 100. I'd like to encourage you, my friends, to do this with me. Perhaps my dreams can fuel your dreams, and vice-versa. Perhaps we can learn a little more about each other too!
1. Write a science fiction novel.
2. Publish a science fiction novel.
3. Participate in the making of a movie--in any capacity.
4. Find a job that challenges me and leaves me feeling fulfilled. (I know this is vague, but it's a start.)
5. Be in the cast for the Nauvoo Pageant.
6. Serve a mission with Jason and Jessica.
7. Get my Bachelor's Degree
8. Be in the cast of "Savior of the World."
9. Run a 5 K. (And I mean run--the whole time.)
10. Make an Elizabethan costume.
11. Write a play.
12. Learn a second language.
13. Tour church history sites from Sharon Vermont to Nauvoo.
14. Go to England.
15. Tear down my old house and build a new one on our property. Or at least remodel and add on to the old house.
15 is a good start. Especially since I was only going to write 10... :)
I love this idea! I will do this as well. :^)
ReplyDelete