This afternoon, they removed the vascular malformation in Kira's lip! They took her in just after 3 and told me it would be about an hour and a half. For a couple of hours before the surgery, Kira was more miserable than she's been this whole time. She was crying and nervous and starving. She hadn't eaten since about 8 pm last night, and it was finally getting to her. All we could do as she requested food was tell her no. It was really hard.
Anyway, I went to grab a bite to eat as soon as they took her in--since I couldn't eat in front of her while she wasn't able to eat. When I finished my lunch/dinner, I went up to the waiting room, thinking I'd be there for forty-five minutes or so. Fifteen minutes later, I saw the doctor enter the waiting room! He told me it was "simple". The tissue he removed was about the size of a marble, and he sent it to pathology. (That's standard procedure when they remove tissue. It's been in her body since birth, so it's not likely abnormal or anything. I doubt pathology will have much to say about it.) I've got to call pathology in a week.
Because the surgery only took an hour, I was extra anxious to see her, mostly because I was excited. She had a hard time waking up, so it was another 45 minutes before I actually got to go into post op.
She was very groggy for a while, and her face is bruised. She looks like she got beaten up. The right side of her face has a bruise up her cheek. Her lip is still very swollen. She has many stitches on the underside of her lip. Now the worry is infection. She is allergic to penicillin and keflex, so there is only one other antibiotic she can use. They gave her a dose of it during surgery. She is also on lortab.
I have to bring her back to see the surgeon in 3 weeks for follow up.
On the upside, she can't seem to get enough food! The first thing she said when she came out of anesthetic was, "Food", the second thing was, "Water". The third thing was, "You have four eyes." :)
Of course, when it rains, it pours. Russ just called to tell me that Jessi had her third seizure today. What timing, huh? At least we're already here. If she needs emergency care, we know just where to take her. *sigh*
Thanks to all of you for your prayers and well wishes! We need all the help we can get, and we have felt the comfort of your prayers! We have the best friends and family in the world!
I can totally hear Kira's voice and inflection as she says "You have four eyes." That is so her! I am so glad that everything went so well for Kira, and I hope Jessi's seizures stop! Much love and wishes that your life settles down for a good week at least :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so very glad to know things have gone well... what a brave girl you have... and so cute with the food and water.... please tell her she is still in my prayers and we are anxious to have her back in class.
ReplyDelete