Last week, Jason taught the gospel doctrine lesson on Job. I wasn't able to go because Jessi had a seizure and I went home with her so that she could sleep. But, he very kindly gave me a recap of the lesson. That lesson has been on my mind a lot this week, and I thought I would write about it.
One of the parts that Jason focused on was the fact that Job was intensely alone. He sat on the garbage heap outside the city, shunned by those who once were his friends, ridiculed by those who were once jealous of him, bereaved over his children, and feeling betrayed by his wife, not to mention the intense, constant pain from which he had no relief. The only companion he had was the Spirit. God was with him when no one else was. He rejoiced in the knowledge that he would be resurrected and see God in his flesh--perfect, restored flesh.
(I wrote a paper on Job when I was in college. Attending the U. My professor gave me a C on that paper because I pointed out that Job believed in resurrection. He said it was pure conjecture. Not part of my point, but kind of funny.)
Often, we feel alone, betrayed, in pain, or afraid. We share an island with the Spirit, and regardless of what happens around us or within us, we must find the peace that God offers and know that somehow, we will be restored to wholeness. No matter what is taken from us. No matter how alone or in pain we may feel.
Knowing this, I have to express my gratitude to know that my family is sharing this little island I live on. And so many choice friends who bring me comfort and support and love. This has been a very difficult summer. Quite a few things happened this summer that I could not have predicted. I tried to do the right thing on many occasions, and was punished for it. I was accused of things I did not do, and I accepted responsibility for many things that I did wrong. It has been a hard summer, and ease doesn't await me in the next few months either. Thank you to those of you who have shared my island. You restore me to peace, comfort, and wholeness, and I love you for it!
No comments:
Post a Comment