Life Keeps Rolling On

Life Keeps Rolling On

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seven Years Ago



I dropped Maida off at school early this morning, and some students were lining the school's sidewalk with flags. It brought the events of 9/11 sharply to mind, and I began replaying my day, seven years ago.

It was a normal Tuesday. Maida, Jessi, and Russell were in elementary school and Kira was a year old. I got up early to tell Jason goodbye, and I met him on the stairs. The first tower had already been hit. I glanced at the television and mentioned that one of the towers was on fire. Jason told me it had been hit by a plane. I remember thinking it was odd that a pilot would make a mistake like that and assumed there must have been something wrong with the plane. I felt badly for everyone involved, and wondered how high the cost would be. I kissed Jason goodbye and he went to work.

I got Jessi up next. Her bus came earlier in the morning, and I had to make sure she was ready in time. I kept watching the television, hoping they were able to save as many people as possible from the accident. While Jessi was eating her cereal, the second plane hit. At first, I was confused. It didn't take me long to realize that it was war. Our country was under attack. As reports came in about the Pentagon and a plane crashing in Pennsylvania, I knew it would be a long day.

I wasn't sure whether I should send the kids to school or not. I was going to spend the day in front of the television, and I didn't want them to get upset. I was comforted by the thought that we didn't live close to a national monument or a place that would be considered a national symbol. Jessi's bus driver, Lynn, and I discussed what was going on for a few moments, then I sent Jessi to school, hoping she'd be able to come home again without any difficulty. I took the other kids to school, feeling comforted that they were close to home, at least.

I'll never forget when the towers fell. Watching the people run away, the streets full of smoke and debris. Their faces bloodied, confused, full of grief and fear. I knew it was war. Someone had declared war on the United States. The most difficult thing was seeing the photographs of loved-ones who were lost, either missing or presumed dead. There were so many of them. So many stories about those who were missing. It broke my heart, and I had to turn the TV off after a while.

It seems like people have forgotten the intensity of feeling we all had at that moment. The country was united. United in grief, in patriotism, in prayer. I'm glad we haven't suffered more attacks like we endured on 9/11, but I wish we had that same unity. An election is coming up, and it sickens me how dirty, self-promoting, and hypocritical both sides have been. It's hard to hope for our country's future when so much negative campaigning is going on, and it seems like there are so many power hungry people around. Don't tell me what the other guy is doing wrong, tell me what you will do right! Then, I can see if I agree with that!

I refuse to give up, though. I say the pledge in the morning with the students, and I mean every word I say.

God bless America! Always remember!

2 comments:

  1. Amy thanks for the reminder. It is interesting how I said I would never forget, and I have not, but I don't alwaya remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a sad day, especially when we think back and reflect on it. I remember this day - I think I cried through the whole thing once my 19 year old mind understood what had really happened. Thanks for the blog; it was good, though difficult, to read about. Love you, Amy!

    ReplyDelete