Life Keeps Rolling On

Life Keeps Rolling On

Monday, October 13, 2008

A SunBEAM

Since so many of you commented on my new calling, I thought I would let you know how things went. I had ONE child in my class yesterday. He was absolutely adorable and I giggled at him the whole time. We colored (well, he colored), took a potty break, and played brick breaker on my cell phone. We were talking about how to follow Jesus's example, and by following His example, we become a good example to others. I used the little chart I posted in my last blog, and we talked about what Jesus did and how we could do similar things in our lives. His favorite response to each question I asked was a shrug of his shoulders.

I told him that Jesus was nice to other people, even when they were mean to Him. I asked him how we could be nice to others. He shrugged. I said, "Well, you just got a new box of crayons. Would you like to share your crayons with me? That would be nice."

He said, rather emphatically, "No."

I told him I understood because nothing is better than new crayons.

We were talking about how Jesus forgives people and tries to be their friend and help them change rather than being mean back. I asked him if anyone ever did anything mean to him.

He said, "My sister bites me this hard." He pinched himself repeatedly until he felt it caused comparative pain. "THIS hard."

"And what do you do when she bites you?" I asked.

"I tell my mom."

I was grateful he didn't resort to biting her back. "That's just the right thing to do," I said. Then I moved on to the subject of forgiveness. "So, do you still play with your sister and give her the chance to be nice to you?"

He said, rather emphatically, "No."

I tried not to giggle as I said, "Oh, I bet you do."

Jason gave me good advice when I was whining about missing Relief Society (which I love) and Gospel Doctrine (which Jason teaches, therefore I love.) He said, "At this age, all you need to do is love them. Make them feel glad to be at church." What wonderful advise! Course, he's a wonderful guy! So that's what I did. I didn't worry too much about the lesson or how well it sank in. I just enjoyed being his pal for two hours. And it was great!

2 comments:

  1. Jason is absolutely right. I'm glad you had so much fun with your little sunBEAM!

    ReplyDelete