Life Keeps Rolling On

Life Keeps Rolling On

Friday, October 3, 2008

VOTE

The election is coming up soon. EVERYONE SHOULD REGISTER AND VOTE! EVERYONE SHOULD INVESTIGATE AND FIGURE OUT WHO/WHAT THEY'RE VOTING FOR.

I noticed in the debates last night that both candidates want the same things for our nation--better education, better economy, better use of our fuel and different sources for fuel, Iraqi independence. We just disagree on how to get there.

I'll admit that I'm frustrated by the whole voting process because of how much influence the media has and how little any of us really knows about either candidate. Most people are too busy in their personal lives to take the time and investigate a candidate's voting record, personal finances, personal integrity and ideals. (And yes, I believe that character does matter.) We see what the candidates and the media want us to see. (I'm not just talking mainstream media, I'm talking about all sources that provide us with information.) Sometimes I feel like it's a bit of a crap shoot. The debates are the closest we get to being able to see who these candidates really are. Even then, far too much of what they say is scripted to some level. People often base their vote on a party platform or on snippets of what they hear in the media. It is all a show. They show us what they think we want to see so that they can get our votes. It's what Washington is. All fake. All polish. All appearances. I'm sick of it. But, I'm still voting. I'm taking the chance based on what knowledge I have and based on what I believe is best for the country. I'm not going to freak out if the other guy wins. Because, again, we all want the same thing. And we are all in God's hands.

Jason bore his testimony once and talked about Global Warming. He said something that I totally agree with--if the world is bound for destruction, the ONLY way to avoid it is to repent. If Global Warming is as big and devastating as Gore says it is, we're already powerless against it and driving more fuel-efficient cars won't make a bit of difference. A drop in the bucket. We need personal righteousness to get us through this, regardless of who is elected. We need to take responsibility for our own lives and be the best citizens we can be. We need to be involved. We need to look for solutions to our own problems and not wait for Washington to find them for us. We need to spend our money wisely, with companies that strive to improve and be responsible as well. We need to bank with companies that don't make bad loans. We need to live within our means and get out of debt and save and be prepared. We need to vote and make sure our voices are heard as we follow our own consciences.

So go vote! One month away!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I totally agree! Registered and ready here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I also listened to the debate last night. Someone brought a radio to pottery class so we could all listen. :) I hate how they are always pointing fingers at the other guy (or girl, as the case may be.) Just tell us what YOU will do.

    ReplyDelete