Life Keeps Rolling On

Life Keeps Rolling On

Friday, September 25, 2009

Surgery Part 1

Everything went well yesterday. We got to the hospital just before noon and they got us in just after one. They hardened the malformed blood vessel, and now her lip is at least three times bigger than it's ever been. I'll post pictures if Kira is okay with it, but I won't post them until she's done and feeling better about things. Her lip is big and purple and hard. Poor thing.

She came out of anesthesia really well, and she was starving. Her first order to "room service" was 2 sausages, a side salad, and a bowl full of sliced pickles. :)

After she had some food in her tummy, she bounced around the hospital like a kid on holiday. I think she believes this place is more like a hotel than a hospital. (We're at Primary Children's). She's had fun dragging me around everywhere. Jason was going to spend the first night with her, but his throat has been sore so we thought it best for me to spend the night. It's been nice to be able to focus on Kira and Kira alone. It's a shame she had to go through this to give me three days to focus on her! I guess that's the way it goes, though. In here, the rest of my life has to be put on hold. In a way, it's nice.

She'll have the second procedure this afternoon, and they'll remove the hardened vessel. I have a feeling that she won't be quite as bouncy after this procedure. She'll definitely have more pain to deal with, and therefore more drugs. We'll see if they'll actually let her leave by 10 tomorrow morning, with the procedure happening so late in the afternoon. Originally, I thought they would be able to cut her lip on the underside. Now, I don't know how they'll do that since her lip isn't flexible. They may cut along the line of her lip or along the natural dimple beneath her nose. I haven't actually talked to a doctor yet, so I don't know. We'll find out in about two to three hours! Hopefully things will go as smoothly today as they went yesterday.

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts and prayers. It's a privilege to feel so loved and feel the warmth and support so many of you have for our family! Thanks! I love you all!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting... I wondered all day, everytime I looked at her empty desk... bless her heart! Please tell her she's still in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there! Good luck to Kira and everyone. You are a great mom, have I ever told you that?

    ReplyDelete