Life Keeps Rolling On

Life Keeps Rolling On

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Day 6 part deux:

We were so sure Jess would have a seizure last night.  Maida stayed with her and kept her up until after 2.  She was on the exercise bike at 1, and stayed there for a half hour.  I got here this morning, and there was no news.

So, Maida has spent most of the day with me, and we have been torturing Jessi again.  It has been so interesting to me to have some time completely dedicated to her.  I have noticed things about her "pre-seizure" stage that I never noticed before.  Like, how blood-shot her eyes are.  How her right eye gets lazy, and her muscle control of that eye seems to lessen.  She is even more sensitive to sensory information.  Today, she is more effected by the crying in the room next to us, or by the beep of her pulse monitor when we take it off, or by light.  She builds a "cocoon" around herself quite often, but when she is ready for a seizure, it is even worse.

I learned something else about Jessi today.  Volunteers go around the hospital and play games and stuff with the kids if wanted.  A volunteer (let's call him cute Jenga guy--I believe Maida used the word "hot" Jenga guy) played Jenga with Jessi.  And you know what?  She is really good at that game!  She beat him fair and square.  Even with how distracted she is, she has a good feel for which blocks will make the stack topple, and she has a great, gentle touch.  She almost toppled everything, but saved it with a slight move!

So, we are still in waiting mode.  Now, however, the docs say that she is having "significant epileptic activity in the right side of her brain," and it is "medically necessary for her to stay hospitalized for a longer term." 

So, here I sit, blogging again.  I hit a moment of discouragement yesterday.  I felt like, with all of the prayers in our behalf, why would things be taking as long as they were?  All of the what ifs surfaced, all the doubts filled me with panic, and I felt like the whole week had been a waste.  I didn't doubt that those many prayers would be answered, but I wondered how they would be answered, and how we all would make sense of all of this.  I had to ask Jason to strengthen my faith.  I believe, Lord, help thou my unbelief.

Now, I know that they have learned things about Jessi's brain, even if she doesn't have a seizure.  Knowing that they deem it "medically necessary" for her to stay longer, the odds of her not having a seizure seem very slim.  I am so encouraged by this!  I feel one step closer to finding some answers to questions I have had for years!  Jessi was 9 when she started having seizures, so it's been a long time coming.  And, once again, I feel that the Lord answers my prayers in the 11th hour.  Not when I want the answer, but when it is time for the answer to be given.

No comments:

Post a Comment