Life Keeps Rolling On

Life Keeps Rolling On

Monday, July 21, 2008

Traditional vs. Practical

A few of you have been to my house for dinner. After seeing pics of my kitchen, it should come as no surprise that we don't eat in our kitchen/dining room. We eat in the front room. When we have guests or feel like having an old fashioned dinner, we set up a table in the front room. We never eat in the kitchen unless we do it standing up while we converse and cook. That being said, I feel like it would be practical for me to set up my kitchen as more of an office/place to do homework than a traditional kitchen. I'm thinking of getting a few barstools that could be set up anywhere along the counter pictured on the blog or next to the counter by my dishwasher. If I do that, I'll get rid of the kitchen table and set up a desk, my filing cabinets, and maybe a small breakfast nook in the corner. As things are now, the kitchen table is merely a place where stuff gets thrown. I know a desk would probably be the same type of thing, but it would be smaller, therefore I'd have to clean it off more regularly. :)

No one has ever complained about eating in the front room, and I've fed quite a few people while we've lived here. But, i know it's not a typical way of doing things. Will people think I'm too weird? Am I breaking the traditional good parent mystique? Does it make me a bad parent that my family doesn't eat around the table like the experts tells us to?

1 comment:

  1. I actually think it proves just the opposite about you -- and who said you had to be typical to be successful as a parent??

    I loved it - thank you for having us, and I really hope I can join you again next week!!

    ReplyDelete